Thursday, June 11, 2009

Measure and Report

Greetings,

I leave for Asia today and wanted to post a few thoughts before getting on the plane.

First of all let me offer a hearty congratulation to all of you for building a great May. The company continued its strong growth pattern in almost every market. Most of our markets were up double digits for the month as was the company overall.

One of things I was always aware of as a Franchise Owner was my own organization’s market share. In other words I would try to measure how my business was doing contrasted to the overall company. Eventually this became irrelevant as my business became 99% of the company’s business. However, in the early days this was not the case.

Being focused on where you are and where you want to be can make the difference between major success and just getting by. One of my favorite quotes is from Thomas S. Monson and goes like this:

When you deal in generalities you will never succeed,
When you deal in specifics you will rarely have a failure.
When performance is measured performance improves, and,
When performance is measured and reported back the rate of improvement accelerates.

This piece of wisdom has been a great benefit to me. When I find myself slowing down in my productive actions I can almost always find the reason why in this little quote. I get back to dealing in specifics and back to measuring my performance and my productivity comes back pretty quick.

ALL the best,

Stewart

No comments: